Friday, August 19, 2011

20 Week Photography Challenge Week 4

This week's challenge is Dinner. Ugh. I wish I was more of a Martha Stewart in the kitchen. I tend to have a few tried and true recipes and I rotate between them. I've recently tried expanding my horizons. Here's last night's dinner. It was supposed to be Chicken Fried Rice, but since I didn't have soy sauce it wasn't exactly chicken fried rice, but it was still tasty.





It didn't photograph terribly well, but that's probably my fault. I'm simply awful at photographing food. I definitely need loads more practice. Consider it on my to-do list.

 Here's my adapted recipe if you're interested in making this incredibly easy and quick dinner.

Chicken Fried Rice

What You'll Need:
2 - 3 chicken breasts, seasoned and diced
3 scrambled eggs, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 grated carrots
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup peas
2-3 strips bacon, fried
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 cups whole grain rice (non-instant)
soy sauce

What You'll Do:
1.  If you have time, marinate the chicken in soy sauce or your seasoning of choice. I didn't have any soy sauce on hand so I used a splendid mixture of spices that ended up tasting like smoked applewood seasonings. Use whatever suits your tastebuds.

2. Cook the chicken in a small amount of olive oil. Drain any excess olive oil and add the shredded carrots and diced onions. Saute until the onions go clear.

3. Add the peas, garlic, and cooked bacon to your chicken mixture, stirring well and lowering the heat so as not to burn it.

4. Meanwhile, make your rice in a large pan. If you use 2 cups rice, you'll want to boil it in 4 cups water and a dash of salt. If you're using a boxed rice (like the boil in bag) be sure to follow those directions. Once your rice is fully cooked, but not mushy, drain it and add the butter. Mix well. You can also add more of your seasoning that you used on your chicken directly onto the rice as well to make it more flavorfully. Just taste after every seasoning attempt to make sure you don't overdo it.

5. Scramble three eggs and chop it into little pieces. Add the egg and the cooked rice mixture to the chicken pan. Stir. Serve, topped with soy sauce or not, your choice.

Recipe adapted from: One She Two She
Linking up to A Step in the Journey as part of the 20 week photography challenge.

2 comments :

  1. I'm a terrible cook, too. The only dishes that I can cook well are fettuccine alfredo, baked spaghetti, and anything from a box or the freezer. Thanks to Pinterest I've been able to try out some pretty good recipes that didn't turn out disastrous. I'm pinning this one right now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Fried Rice is a staple around here. I recently posted my own recipe, but your's is a lot more "home-grown!" Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...