Wednesday, May 11, 2011

You Capture - Motherhood

Beth over at ishouldbefoldinglaundry.com (best blog name EVER) has a hard challenge this week for me: motherhood. I can't capture myself in photos since I'm always the one snapping away, and my own mom is several thousand miles away, so I was a bit stumped on how to photograph motherhood since the obvious choice is a mom, right?

So instead, I got to thinking about what it means to be a mother (which also isn't an easy task). Being a mom is so many things, and often all at the same time, that it's hard to describe. Once you're a mom, you get it. But until then, there aren't enough words in the English language (or any language!) to fully and accurately describe what being a mom is.

Part of being a mom is giving up spa pedicure and manicures for short and often chipped fingernails. It's also chopping off your hair or choosing a hairstyle that can be fixed in a moment's notice instead of having hair that requires extensive upkeep or styling. Motherhood is sleepless and restless nights: staying up late with those you love while they're sick or just waking yourself up to check for that sweet soft baby snore. It's replacing all those fancy stemware and crystal pieces in your cupboards with sippy cups. It's constantly being on duty, fulfilling all the myriad roles, that your children require of you. It's sacrifices, unconditional love and support. I love every minute of being a mom.

I've traded in my fancy stemware for some cute sippy cups all in the name of motherhood :)
All photos taken by myself, Amy Proffitt, and copyright 2011 by Amy Proffitt.

Photobucket

3 comments :

  1. Awww, what a sweet post & so true!!
    I love being a Mom too!!
    I'm a new follower..;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post and I think those cups are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...