Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Top 80s Movies

Alright, let me just preface this with a disclaimer: this is my personal top ten 80s movie favorites. I don't hold a degree in cinematography or anything like that, so this is just my favorite movies of the 80s. These are the kind of movies that I never get tired of watching over and over again. I own all of these except numbers 8 and 9, solely because I own them on VHS and haven't upgraded yet to a DVD. Also, these are in no particular order.

1. Adventures in Babysitting - My first exposure to this movie was with my best friend. We'll call her Jess since that is her real name. Maybe I like the memory of hanging out with my best friend more than I like the movie itself, but this movie is pretty cool. It also sparked my interest in Chicago and its architecture.

2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off- This movie is classic! I went to college and the house I stayed in didn't have a copy of it for their DVD collection. It was my going-away gift to them. Every one needs to see this movie atleast once in their lifetime, if only for the awesome lip-syncing and dancing during the parade scene. Movie mantra to live by: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."


3. The Goonies - staple of any 80s must-see list. Admit it. On more than one occasion you've been known to yell out, "HEEYYY YOU GUYS!!!" in your best Sloth impersonation. No? Just me? Moving on...

4. The Princess Bride - What's not to like? A romantic comedy that isn't too mushy and has such great quotes like, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die," and "Inconceivable!" Well, they sound more impressive in context and if you've seen the movie. Also, Cary Elwes used to be hot.


5. Ghostbusters - Rick Moranis, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver...how can this movie not be awesome? I will also admit, rather reluctantly, to growing up and being a tattle-tale (don't judge.. I grew up with all male cousins and I was the youngest!). Whenever I'd threaten to tell, they'd start singing the "who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!" song which usually sent me into tears. Now that I put it like that, it doesn't sound like such a fond memory of a movie...

6. Dirty Dancing - another 80s staple. This movie also has some great one-liners, "No one puts baby in a corner." The weird thing is my old babysitter (this is when I was about four) used to put it on the television downstairs and tell us all to be quiet and watch the movie while she was upstairs doing Lord knows what. Even then I thought it was scandalous that we were watching such a naughty movie, but I wasn't one to complain either. It was a good movie.


7. Big - love everything about this movie. Tom Hanks is easily one of my favorite actors of all time. I love him in this kid in a grown-up's body movie. It's really just a lot of fun, especially the iconic dancing on the large floor piano in the toy store. Whenever I see one of those fortune-telling machines in the mall or at a faire, I always reminisce about this movie.


8. Back to the Future - I love me some Michael J. Fox. This is the movie that put the DeLorean on the radar and made Marty McFly a household name. This movie is a perfect blend of science fiction, fun, and comedy.

9. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - As a kid, I loved watching this movie. I don't know why. I guess ET is just so lovable, which is a feat in itself considering it's an animatronic prop. I remember thinking that it looked so real on the screen, but if you go and watch it today I'm sure it's not as impressive. Still a great movie, even if I never did find a bike that will fly up to the moon.


10. The Dark Crystal - Really creepy movie by Jim Henson of all people. Especially creepy if you first watch it when you're young, say six or seven. But that being said, it's also really fantastic, full of wonder, and it sticks with you. It's muppets in a whole new way.

What about you? Any favorite 80s movies? I know someone out there has to love Pretty in Pink or any John Hughes films, but sadly I didn't watch those movies until just recently and while good, they aren't part of my movie memories of the 80s.

Linked up to ohamanda.com

6 comments :

  1. I have never seen or heard of the Dark Crystal. Big is one of my absolute favorites and still watch it whenever I see it. Loved most of the other ones too, not so much E.T. and the Goonies though. What about The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and that other one that I can't think of the name of?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, can't believe the 80's were that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I love every. single. one. of those movies! Plus,every single other movie made in the 80's! Can't Buy Me Love, Some Kind of Wonderful, Heathers, Risky Business. Oh man, I could go on!
    Loving all the 80's love on TTT today:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. I've seen all of these except the first one! Oh goodness... were "Big" and "E.T." REALLY made in the 80s?? Now I'm feeling older...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles are great movies too, but something like Big and Dark Crystal are more my speed. :)

    They do definitely make me feel old now though. I can't believe that some of them are over 30 years ago. No wonder Tom Hanks looked so young!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...