Saturday, March 19, 2011

DE-clutter

I'm inspired by all these bloggers posting about losing the clutter. I'd love to lose some junk around here. I know just how much junk I have too, since the military moved us a little over a year ago. Everything was weighed...and let's just say it wasn't pretty how much junk one family can accumulate.

As much as I want to say that most of it is furniture and stuff for the boys, the honest truth is there's a lot of unnecessary crap too. Do I really need 9 skillets for instance? Even if I have three skillets on at once, that's still six extra. And let's not even mention all the knick knacks that clutter up a space. I don't have them on display here in Germany (I sent most of that junk to the storage facility back in the states). However, there's still some sitting about in boxes, in my attic and in my garage. I've realized that by the time I get back to the states, I'm not even going to like that stuff most likely. I guess I'll have to deal with it then. Until then, though, I'm set on cleaning up this house.

So far I've already moved a bunch of baby clothes and little baby toys into the attic. I'm reluctant to get rid of them since we're not entirely sure that we're done having children. If we decide to have another one, then we'll need that stuff, and if we don't, then we can get rid of the excess stuff.

I also went through the playroom and got rid of quite a few toys (both stuff that they don't play with anymore and broken toys). With two little guys, stuff gets broken pretty often. These toys I dumped (recycled if they were plastic, trashed if not). The rest of it's getting donated.

Then came the attic. I came across a post by Amy at finerthings.com, and she's decided to declutter by two items per day for a total of 730 items over the year. Can you imagine your house being lighter by 730 items? Wow, that sounds awesome! (Yes, I know I'll buy stuff that will count towards my accumulated number, but don't burst my bubble--I plan to be more picky on what comes into this house and having a purpose for every purchase.)

Since it's not possible for me to actually every day go and find two random objects that I can live without, I'm going to do this in random surges. Today I managed to declutter most of the attic. I am happily losing ninety items, that's enough for 45 days worth of the challenge! Still a long way to go, but atleast I'm losing some of this clutter. What about you? Any plans to do some spring decluttering?

2 comments :

  1. My spring de-cluttering plan is to clean and get rid of junk to make room for my baby! Then I get to set up her room :) Miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually sounds like a great reason to de-clutter! Any ideas on the theme that you'll be doing?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...