Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Germany Edition

Top Ten {Tuesday}

In the spirit of Amanda over at ohamanda.com, I'm doing a Top Ten Tuesday list today. So without further ado, here it is:

TOP TEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT GERMANY
subscript: things I wish the states would catch onto!

1. Stoplights that go from red, to red with yellow, to green. I know it's silly, but having that extra step of the yellow flashing on means more drivers are prepared for the green light. Or maybe it's just because I like to leave the line as soon as the light flashes green (and I know there aren't any other cars trying to make it through the light, of course). I think it's the inner racecar driver in me.


(I know this isn't a photo of a stoplight, but I apparently don't have one...don't ask me why I have a photo of a random sign either)
2. The good samaritan law. It's a law over here that if you see a car accident, you're required, by law, to stop and lend aid. While I think that people should stop of their own accord and not be coerced by the law, I know way too many people that think, "well, atleast it wasn't me," and drive on by.

I'm not even gonna try to post a photo for this one...

3. Recycling...everything. I love that we have mandatory recycling. It's not much effort at all on my part, but I always feel better knowing that the trash that we generate is getting a second life, and the earth is getting a reprieve.


4. The Autobahn! I love the autobahn. I know most people think of it as a race track of sorts, without any speed limits, but in fact there are speed limits and restrictions in a lot of areas.


5. The flowers. In my tiny city that I live in, there's atleast 10 florists (or blumen, if you will). That's not counting all the nurseries, or the places that sell fresh cut flowers (like all the grocery stores and gas stations). Every time I'm out, I see people walking with fresh cut flower arrangements. I always imagine they're taking them home to their significant others, and my heart warms. I know that's sappy, but I can deal with that. I think every woman (or man) should get flowers on a regular basis.


6. The architecture. Germany, and Europe in general, is amazingly rich in architecture. I'm not even talking about the castles (yeah, they're pretty awesome), but just the everyday architecture. You don't see cheap, flimsy vinyl siding over here. You'd be hard pressed to find sheet asphalt shingles too (which are also cheap and require loads of maintenance). Most houses are very sturdy, made of solid materials, and beautiful as a result. Quality building materials can make a ton of difference (no pun intended), but the houses themselves are great. Each house is different from its neighbor. You don't see cookie cutter houses like you do back in the states. I love it!


7. The culture. The culture over here is amazing. From what I've observed about the Germans (and this is strictly my own observations) is that they are hard-working, efficient, polite, and sincere. If there's so much as a scrap of paper out in the sidewalk's gutter, guaranteed it won't be there tomorrow. Some hard working Germany will be out there with his broom, shovel, and wheelbarrow to clean up the mess. The Germans also have a wonderful tradition of taking family walks (volksmarching) on Sundays. It doesn't have to be a walk, or even a Sunday, but the Germans are always outside, getting some fresh air and exercise. If there's one habit we take when we leave this country, I hope this one is it (well, it and the recycling).


(I know this isn't a photo of the culture, but it's a beautiful little street corner here)
8. The travel opportunies. We're sooo close to everything. There's a castle in our little town that overlooks the city. An hour away (by car) is Germany's oldest city, founded by the ancient Romans. Four hours away (again, by car) is Paris. The French border is only an hour away. It's so easy to get out and see things that I've only ever dreamt of. I'm a very lucky girl indeed.


9. The cheeses! I'm a cheese connoisseur and a bit of a cheese snob, if I'm being honest here. I guess since I'm in Germany I should be bragging about all the beers and bratwurst (yeah, they have them...they're great), but I'm more of a cheese and wine type of girl. And the cheeses here are so varied and so inexpensive. There's even a store nearby that has a "cheese bar" that showcases over 700 different kinds of cheese. I didn't even know there were that many...


10. The weather. We have such mild winters and summers. It doesn't get scorching hot like the Midwest that I hail from, nor do the summers get so freezing cold. Sure, they're cold, but atleast we have snow to show for it. I hate the cold without snow! I figure if I'm going to be freezing, I might as well enjoy the beauty of it.

3 comments :

  1. Woah, wait a second. An expat in Germany that I don't yet know about? Where are you guys living? I saw the Darmstadt license plate and had to wonder if you're just around the corner from us (we're kinda near Frankfurt). Will search your blog vigorously for more info lol.

    Great list. I also think the traffic lights are quite practical -- especially for those driving a stick. And the curbside recycling has totally spoiled me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love & hate this post all at the same time. I've never been outside of the airport in Germany, but I've spent a lot of time in France and other European countries. I miss it. After reading this post I miss it a LOT! Thanks for sharing. I found you on Oh Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany, I'm near Ramstein (the base). The Darmstadt license plate was on our rental car. I didn't want to post my real license plate (KL for Kaiserslautern). I don't know why but I love the European license plates.

    Hi Rebekah, sorry! If you ever get the chance you should definitely leave the airport! When I found out we were going to be living here, I was a bit bummed because I would have rather chosen England or France. Mainly because I didn't realize there was so much to see and do in Germany. It turns out that it's a great fit for our lives. If you ever get the opportunity to come here, message me! I know several beautiful places to see. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...