Monday, November 7, 2011

Digital Silhouettes

Recently, okay maybe not recently, a dear friend of mine sent me a care package in the mail. It was absolutely wonderful and thoughtful and amazing. It absolutely made my day week. I wanted to reciprocate the favor, but while I'm crafty at times, I know she has me beat in that department. I wanted to do something I knew she didn't already have or didn't have the time for. So I created some silhouettes of her children for her. These make lovely gifts. Here's how I did it.



Step 1: Find a photo of each subject, preferable a side view or profile view of that person. Enlarge that photo file to fit the size of your template (I'm going to frame mine in 5x7 frames so I wanted to make sure they fit and filled the 5x7 frame). You can size them in anything from photoshop (expensive program) to free programs like picasa, picnik, or GIMP.



Step 2: Once you have each subject scaled to the size you need it, you can go ahead and either remove the background to make it easier on your printer ink or leave it as-is (definitely the easier option). Print each photo on regular printer paper (you want it to be thin and easy to cut through).

Step 3: Find a bit of black poster paper or cardstock and place it underneath your photograph(s). Using a sharp knife, like an exacto blade, slowly and carefully cut through both your photo and the black paper beneath it. Voila!



Step 4: For an added personalized touch, create a 5x7 print with the child's or person's name in a fancy script along the bottom of the print. Adhere the silhouette to the 5x7 print. I used scrapbook squares to attach mine and they worked really well, plus they're acid free. Frame and you have a great and personal gift that any mother would love.



5 comments :

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [08 Nov 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am honored to be your dear friend. :) I LOVE the silhouettes and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - I saw these on HGTV and I thought they were awesome!! LOOVE THEM! I am a crafty person however, I'm not sure i would do a good job on this. If I were to send you a photo, would you be able to trace it for me and do this exercise? how much would you charge? I would looove to put this in my home and display them! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anonymous! I'd love to work with you on this project. Can you email me at Amerz216@aol.com please? We can discuss the specifics then. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...