Wednesday, July 15, 2009

the Windy City

Last weekend we took an extended weekend trip to Chicago, my favorite north American city. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this city, if only it was warmer in the winter I think I'd settle there.


Anyway, it was a fun time. Friday we drove up there. Both boys were so well-behaved it was like they weren't even in the car at all. We checked into our hotel (DOWNTOWN!) that was a couple miles from everything. It had an outdoor pool and an amazing view of the lake.



That night we went to the Harry Potter exhibit . It was really awesome. We had a sneak peak at some of the props that they used for this film that was just released. Did I mention it was great? I know...I'm a Potter nerd. Oh well..there's worse things to be.




Then Saturday we headed to the Shedd Aquarium. It was a ton of fun. Drake didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought he would, but he had fun anyway. Then afterwards we decided we wanted to hit Navy Pier. We thought about walking to save some $$$, so we asked a hot dog vendor how far of a walk it was. She nonchalantly replied, "oh, about ten minutes." So we thought, "hey, we're all young. We can do it!"

Forty minutes and four sweat-soaked shirts later, we were there. James insists that the hot dog lady was all, "Hey Bob, guess what I just told those stupid tourists!" after we left. I'm inclined to believe it. Rather than brave the walk back (yes, we're all lazy Americans), James took a water taxi back and picked us up in the car. He apparently had some really great views of downtown and the area.


Once we got back to the hotel, everyone took a nap (and I mean EVERYONE!) and then we went to the beach. We asked the locals (with a healthy dose of skepticism) how far of a walk it was, but they replied "about five minutes." After ten minutes, we were at the beach on Lake Michigan. I'm beginning to wonder if Chicagoans have no concept of time? Anyway, the water was frigid, but James and Em braved it. Drake and I both dipped our toes and that was enough for us, but we both like our showers/baths so hot that we're scorched afterwards. Atleast D enjoyed the sand (and smashing sand castles) and chasing the seagulls.



I know I'm biased, but seriously, look at how gorgeous my kids are!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...