Thursday, February 16, 2012

Birthdays

So today's my birthday. I didn't plan on posting anything since the entire household has come down with strep throat and/or scarlet fever and things have been a bit hectic to say the least. That and I don't want to seem like I'm begging for sympathy or just wanting people to say "Happy Birthday." But my husband, who is in Italy for work, was sweet and left me two birthday cards. One was signed by the kids and one was signed by him. The one signed by him read, "You're an awesome mommy and pretty good wife." Am I reading that correctly or am I reading into things? Pretty good? Isn't that like getting a C in a class? You're pretty good, but you're not great. You're not terrible either, just pretty good. I can't say why, but this is just breaking my heart today. Maybe it's everything else compounded on the issue, but the "pretty" is like the proverbial straw breaking the camel's back. Or it was the dam holding back the tears. I'm not really good at analogies right now. This is what dictionary.com had to say about the definition of pretty:

pretty: [prit-ee]  -ti·er, -ti·est, noun, plural -ties, adverb, verb, -tied, -ty·ing.

adjective: fairly or moderately: Her work was pretty good.

Is that the way you would read that? Or am I reading into things? I know I'm not the best wife in the world. I wish I was, but I know I'm not. But isn't it pretty crappy to be reminded of how utterly lacking you are in that department on your thirtieth birthday? Someone please tell me I'm crazy and reading into things.

2 comments :

  1. I truly understand where you are coming from, my husband does similar things. But, I truly believe he loves you and was trying to be sweet. They don't usually check out the definition of the words they use and it gets them into trouble. Hope everyone is feeling better and Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no - i missed your birthday! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! I hope everyone is feeling better.
    :) I am very, very, 100 percent, totally sure you are reading into things! Silly lady. In fact when I first read what he had written (before I read your craziness underneath) ....... ;) .......I thought to myself that it was a super cute card. That he thinks you are the best mommy ever and nothing can come close to comparing to it, so you just have to be a 'pretty good wife'. I think he was trying to be cute or funny. Clearly he failed, since you felt crappy.....but when I first read it, that's what I took from it. :) Don't be sad. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...