Wednesday, June 1, 2011

BOYS!

So I need some advice. What do I do with a two year old who is incredibly clumsy and accident-prone? My poor baby trips over his own two feet, crashes into walls, and is generally a menace to himself. It's really beginning to look like we don't take care of him. I'm honestly very surprised that we've never been asked how he got some of his bruises and bumps. Check out what he did today:


Everything else is older (one to two weeks ago) but that big laceration on top of his head he did earlier today. I was carting in groceries from outside. I left the Jeep's backdoor open while I took a load inside. I came back outside to hear Link squalling and glaring at the Jeep's backdoor. He had to have hit his head on it somehow, but I'm still figuring it out. He should have just gotten a bump and not a cut, but this child is TALENTED when it comes to hurting himself. See my beautiful new header up top? The beautiful photos? I love the one of Link on the right, but there's a problem with it. Check out his left temple...large bruise. Sigh.

So how do I protect this kid from himself? Most of his accidents are him tripping over his own two feet or not watching where he's going and then running into things (people, walls, couches, etc). I really just want to wrap him up in bubble wrap and stick a helmet on him but I figure that's probably not the best solution and he'd never go for it anyway. HELP! Anyone else out there have really clumsy children? Have any tips for a poor helpless mama who has to watch her son constantly hurt himself?

Also, just to ease your mind, his cut on top of his head isn't deep, it only bled for a minute (I timed it, I know I'm a worrier but better safe than sorry) and he calmed down and quit crying within a few minutes of me cuddling him outside. He hasn't been drowsy or vomiting or anything like that, so it's just another day for him.

4 comments :

  1. I totally understand! When my Chaz (now 6 and *deliberately* throwing himself into walls) was about 2, he looked very similar. But the bone in the middle of his forehead was very prominent at the time, and almost constantly had a large, blue/green, mean-looking bruise on it. I, too, kept waiting for someone to ask where he got all those bruises from. Now it's his legs (and bottom, oddly) that are covered with bruises. I assume he will SOMEDAY grow out of this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guys are older now (11 and 12) but they were constantly covered in bruises as toddlers. Even at about 6 or 7 the oldest would have bruises all over his legs. And we have quite a few pictures that look like your labeled one ;)
    I think in general small kids bruise more easily - they must! - and they eventually grow out of it. Some advice, huh? *sigh* It's hard not to worry, but really, toddlers are clumsy. My only extra piece of advice is that you might mention it at a well-child checkup. Sometimes that medical reassurance helps :)
    BTW, I just today found your lovely blog, and I'm totally enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not all alone with a clumsy baby boy. I worry so much about him but shy of wrapping him in bubble wrap there's not much I can do other than pick him up when he falls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor baby! That labeled picture cracks me up! I have a clumsy four year old. I think the bubble wrap idea is great - I might steal it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...